6/28/11

Five Wounds: Influences 3



An illustration from Five Wounds depicting the mystics and charlatans that gathered around the baby Gabriella (born with wings) to interpret her groans and murmurs.


This is the rough. I was reminded of a similar drawing which appears in Ralph Steadman's book 'The Big I Am', which can be seen bottom right of this webpage. Steadman was held in very high regard at the art college I attended in Northampton, the lecturer lent me Books by Steadman, and I was blown away by his illustration.


I included the monk on the right of this etching in my own illustration as a homage to Goya; one of the biggest influences stylistically on the Five Wounds illustrations. Below is a plate (a variation that did not make the final edit of the book) scripted by Jon, which references Goya's famous work "The Sleep (or Dream) of Reason Produces Monsters"


tumblr_ltep8dtVO81qjg3t2o1_500


On the 'plates' we even mimicked the textures and effects of Goya's print making technique, although I used photoshop and scanned in textures I made with tea, sand and paint. Below is an enlarged section showing the result of these experiments:




tumblr_lszx0bceuI1qjg3t2o1_r1_500

Some of my textures:


Jonathan Walker has a more in depth article explaining the Goya influence on his blog entitled 'Five Wounds: Photographs and Etchings'.


'The Gospel of Bu-Ba-Baff' refers to the sounds made by the infant Gabriella which the mystics attempt to interpret. I did not at the time, but it is also a quote from Umberto Eco's novel 'The Name of the Rose'. Whilst studying illustration (almost a decade ago) I was given 'The Name of the Rose' to read and interpret as a book. The results are below. My 'art book' was influenced by illuminated manuscripts and I created these double page spreads using the program photoshop for the first time.


1 comment:

Jonathan Walker said...

The relevant quotation from 'The Name of the Rose' is this:

‘How do we know that the murderer killed Venantius because he hated Venantius? He could have killed him, rather than another, to leave a sign, to signify something else'.

‘Omnis mundi creatura, quasi liber et scriptura …’ I murmured. ‘But what would that sign be?’

‘This is what I do not know. But let us not forget that there are also signs that seem such and are instead without meaning, like blitiri or bu-ba-baff. …’

‘It would be atrocious,’ I said, ‘to kill a man in order to say bu-ba-baff!’

‘It would be atrocious’, William remarked, ‘to kill a man even to say “Credo in unum Deum”. …’